Established in 1881, the town of Calico once housed over 500 silver mines, but was a Ghost Town by 1907. The town was bought by Walter Knott in 1951, was restored and became a tourist attraction. He donated the town to the county in 1966, and they maintain it as a park today. The town has many "peek-in" scenes, just like Knott's Berry Farm, which recreate Calico life during the silver rush. These figures are found all throughout the town, and are often amusing.
Museum Type: Historical
Slogan(s): Largest Silver Mining Camp in California
Photos: View here